Monday, February 9, 2009

Because some things never go out of style.

And I'm thinking beyond a classic trench or LBD.
I once asked a friend who doesn't pay much attention to fashion if she remembers what she wears at special events or even just nights when something significant happens to her, expected or not. She looked at me like I had ten heads. I of course do. And probably the less significant nights too. I asked because it occurred to me I partially mark events in my mind by my outfit, and that this may not be the norm. Turns out I was right. And as we got ready to go out this weekend in LA--wide belts, headbands and platforms, or got our nails done in "Lincoln Park After Dark," how much fashions can change, and we can grow, and yet some friendships stay the same. We've gone from middle-schoolers to lawyers and dentists, long blond ponytails to short brunette bobs. When I met some of these girls I was wearing mickey mouse suspenders, braces, or hippie patch pants. We've moved coasts and cities, gotten married, disposed of boyfriends and more.
Whether in navy wool kilts or jumpers though, the same stories are as funny as when they happened. We will still belt every song from the top of our lungs (sorry Greg) and we will still pick on each other relentlessly. Good to know that no matter how many years go by or what happens in our lives, or whether I'm wearing pink nail polish or black, someone has my back and will share a laugh. Here's to the next time we get together (hopefully a more complete group) and whatever zany thing we will be wearing then.