Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Brussels Sprouts + Sangria = Heaven.

Someone said recently that they liked when we suggested favorite places around NYC. Well, I have a favorite spot that I found with my father about 3 years ago when either NYmag or Time Out (can't remember - oops) suggested it as a "cheap eats" winner. The name is Alta, and it is on W10th between 5 and 6th. Since discovering it, I have brought countless people back there and every last one has given it rave reviews. It is no exaggeration that I have never seen someone taste the brussels sprouts and not flip out about how they are the best theyve every tasted (who knew you could flip over sprouts?). They also have amazing Tuna Tartare, eggplant dip, lavender infused fried goat cheese...I could go on and on. It is all small plates, and each new taste is unusual and a party in your mouth. I even did the "whole shebang" once where they serve you everything on the menu for an extremely reasonable price and it was all great. Beyond the food, the service is great, the ambiance inviting (grrrreat fire place in the back) and sangria killer (and I sort of mean that literally). I try not to be too much of a repeat offender in this city since there are countless options, but this is one I always come back to. I go for a quiet glass of wine with a friend at the bar, or this saturday we did a dinner for 18 there and it was seamless, delicious, and fun. Can't ask for much more than that! Definitely try if you haven't yet (and invite me)!!