Monday, February 18, 2008

Circus of The Sun.

Friday night in Vegas Shannon and I were fortunate enough to see the Cirque du Soleil show Love, at the Mirage. Love is one of the newer Cirque shows and is set entirely to Beatles music. This was both of our first Cirque experience, and let me tell you - if you've never had the opportunity to see one of these imaginative and spectacular shows, put it on your list. With the Beatles as the base, you already know youre in for a musical treat -- all those wonderful feel good songs, I hear them and ask myself why you dont listen to them more. Love, a collaboration between George Harrison and Cirque founder Guy Laliberte, earned itself two Grammy's. It was truly mezmorizing to watch this multifaceted performance. No matter what acrobatic I watched in one corner, I was simultaneously completely taken with it and nervous that I was missing something else going on. I don't think I flinched once during the hour and a half performance. The music of the Beatles is so dynamic in the different sounds, and changes in beats and tone, that the hectic stage was the perfect match. And as a great tribute to these four artists, they used originally recordings from the Abbey Road album studio time - including talking between the four men. When they used these chatting clips, they had 4 huge banners with a shadow of each man, and the shadow danced around the banner as the Beatle spoke. They were poignant interludes to the madness of the music and dance, and showed these larger-than-life men as just that. Definitely an awesome experience - two thumbs up from us!