Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sample Sale Savvy

Great Tory Burch look from this season!
And no I don't mean savvy as in one of the many lists you can subscribe to to be notified about upcoming sample sales. There is Savvy, nymag, daily candy, soeffer hasken (oops don't know how to spell that one), the list goes on and on. Today after boxing up our scarves Shannon and I made a quick trip to the Tory Burch and Tibi sample sales. A few years back I was a machine with these events. I mean, I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I moved to New York having a father who would call me at college and describe in intimate detail the handbags he was sifting through in order to "save a buck" and buy it out of a cardboard box at 70% off (his non-negotiable jumping off point). So joining in the culture seemed only natural when I moved to their Mecca. However, a year or two into participating in this sport (and believe me when I say sport. Full contact at that) I looked into my closet to find many purchases that had been worn once if at all. And sure, they were 50% off, but maybe still a price equal to the retail I would spend on an item I loved elsewhere. So I took a break from sample sales and kept my jabs and left hooks in the kickboxing studio. Today was a funny reminder of what an actual culture it is. If it is a popular designer there is always a line. Always 100% female, always decked. Some girls look like their going to a four star restaurant or the country club. This always made me giggle a little (with not at them of course), as the line was all female and they were there to tear through racks with tag and dust covered floors under fluorescent lighting. Today at TRB there was a woman with her Tory bag and tank - sort of like when you go to a Phish show and there is some Turkey (as my sister would say) with their crisp rainbow Phish-in-the-shape-of-a-fish T on. Again, slight giggle. Another thing about the line that is funny is that EVERYONE is talking about the current line, or the line at their last sample sale, probably that day. Here is my advice for your next sample sale. Arrive early. You'll have to wait for the open, but its better than the line to come. If you're part of my father's ilk you sneak through back entrances or make friends with the people who work repeated events. Wear non-revealing underwear, a thin tank (group dressing rooms) and a skirt. This way you have a bottom to try tops on with, but its also easy to pull pants under, dresses over. Also never carry a purse. Put your card and phone in a pocket - checking bags and coats is brutal. And lastly, be careful about impulse buys. There are some great bargains to be found, but some of it is on sale for a reason -- even if only because its a very fleeting trend. Look for classics. And warm up the arms to throw some 'bos. There are some pushy girls in sun dresses out there.