Monday, June 30, 2008

Dear Diary.

That is what this post feels like to me (plus I had a lengthy discussion about diaries Thursday night. The moral of it? Don't ever Dictaphone it Felicity style and then lose the recorder around curious 20 year old friends). I guess because you write in your diary when you are sad, and I am sad to be be moving out of 317 6th Ave #2, Greenwich Village, NY where I have lived for 4 years. The apartment has seen better days. I can let that one go. It was amazing space, but I look forward to a washer/dryer, more closets and no crud built up under the sink. The location however, is not to be matched. There are so many things I will miss and I'm only going a mile uptown (feels like another country I swear). I went on my last run there last week and was devastated to buy my last Grey Dog ice coffee as a neighbor, pick up my last Post from the Smoke Shop where the owner tells me he is okay as long as I am there. I will miss my go-to markets for fish, vegetarian, produce. I will miss my go-to "grab a drink and chat" bars like Perilla and Village. I will miss having Cornelia street to walk down for people watching with Teacake at there 1 billion restaurants (ononeblocklikethis). I will miss running to the WSH via w4th - one of my favorite streets in the city, even better in the quiet wee hours of the morning when the sun is rising and you feel like it belongs to you. I will miss getting to Union Square via w10th - the most beautiful brownstone w/gardens block in the city (between 6th and 7th), and daydreaming that one was mine.
I'll miss finding Beth in this position every morning as I barged into her room with a "Hey Beth??" question.
I will miss my neighbors beautiful garden on their deck where mother, father, and daughter ate dinner every night during warm months.
And I will miss this tree out my window, that blew gorgeously in the wind - especially against a purplish stormy skies, and hearing the plates clank nightly as customers chattered and laughed in the garden of Home, a neighboring restaurant while I lied in bed -- the noisiest my room ever got.

Bye Village. Ill be back to visit my favorite spots, but with a little pang in my stomach that their not "mine" anymore.