Thursday, November 27, 2008

And I think to myself -

We could all probably use a little thanksgiving in every day of our year. Whether it be something as important as the roof over our head, or as seemingly insignificant as the kindness in someone holding a door, we might fret a lot less about the negatives seeing how many positives are in our lives. Especially at a time like this, right? Some are already hit much harder than others, some will be, but we all are worried. There is no one I know that feels unaffected by this crisis, or anyone who feel particularly secure in their jobs/bank accounts right now. However as I traveled home yesterday down the New Jersey turnpike none of that was running through my mind. I had woken up to Christmas carols on the radio (always a bonus in my book), felt healthy at the gym, and was lucky enough to have my father travel to get my car and then pull up at my doorstep to drive me home. My doormen had rushed to my aid as my too-many, overstuffed bags spilled out of the elevator, and I knew my mother and two sisters were waiting at home. I played DJ on the drive (always) and hearing Israel Kamakawiwo’ole sing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” combined with “What a Wonderful World” actually brought tears to my eyes (huge nerd, I know). Two days ago I watched an Oprah (per usual-slightly embarrassing to admit) about “blue zones” in the world – those communities that have the longest living and healthiest people (in concentration) in the world. Oprah and Dr. Oz do health specials often so I don’t think this one was timed particularly because of the crisis or Thanksgiving, but it seemed so perfectly timed to me. Among other common factors there was the detail that all of these places have specific emphasis on community and family. Whether it is that families lived longer together, or friend/group activities were required or supplied they all had a strong weight on spending time with others and forming meaningful relationships. Turns out your best friend/boyfriend/sister, is as important for your heart as that olive oil and morning jog. And All I could think about was how much I was looking forward to this holiday or how everyone on the road and in the airport was in a hurry to see the sister they used to share a bedroom with, the cousin who used to pull their hair, or the uncle that gave them upside-down tickle tortures. I hope everyone can take today to forget about where their careers are headed or how much the Turkey cost. I hope there is a lot of touch football, eating and hugs. I also hope there is a lot of counting of blessings. I know I sat at a dinner table with 4 of the top of my list last night having already laughed a lot, having encouraged water fights, and having built a birthday gingerbread house. I wasn’t worried about our scarf top stock, or our DM AMEX bill (yikes), and won’t today either. Because as cheesy as it sounds – it is a wonderful world, and I’m so lucky to have my family, and friends, health and heat. I will count each name individually today, thank some in person, and continue to feel like if I just keep concentrating on the positive, the negative is all small potatoes (make that sweet or mashed). Happy Thanksgiving.