Friday, November 7, 2008

TGIF

Maybe we should say TGIF less, or just TGI-whatever day it is more. Sure, weekends are great, but making your weeks great too is no one's responsibility but your own I think. As I like to say everything is really make your own fun (pic is Shan and I making our own fun at the hunt!), cause if you're bored, or annoyed, or disinterested who else's fault is it?

Last Friday Shannon and I sat in a meeting room at the Hotel National in Moscow having a discussion about contracts, fees, and obligations at about 7:30 pm. Our meeting had been pushed back for hours, we were late to meet or dinner group, it was raining pretty hard, there was lots of traffic, and bad Russian pop filtering out from a neighboring wedding. I jotted down notes as the translator spoke when I noticed a quote at the bottom of the hotel provided folders. It said

“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” - Emerson.

And I paused, stopped listening to the translator (oops), and jotted that down instead. Funny to find Emerson when we are both so far from home but it really struck a chord. Suddenly I didnt mind searching for our car in the downpours or a 10 hour plane ride home two days later. There are negatives in both I could have focused on. But after calmly finding the driver he was sweet enough to park his car and with no umbrella, lead Shannon and I underground and down the street to our restaurant - not a word spoken - just to be sure we got there okay, without a word of understanding. You realize when you choose not to be worried by the small stuff, there is such greater good stuff. The quote is kinda corny, I know. But Im writing it ;) so I can say, TGIF, TGIS, TGIS, TGIM, TGIT...