Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I KNOW they can.

Today one of my best friend's in the world and her husband (also a very good friend!) set out for Arizona. Before you get jealous that they're headed for sunny skies, know that this is not a weekend off. This weekend is probably the most on weekend they have ever had. They are headed there to compete in an Ironman competition: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run. You may remember last year when I went to South Africa to cheer on my sister Jen in hers. Well, they were with me -- and were so inspired they basically got off our 18 hour flight and dove head first into training for this one (and I might add ALSO signed up for Lake Placid summer '09). And they have spent the last many many months going farther and farther distances. More laps, more miles. These two are a team in more ways than one. They are married, they run their amazing company - Linda & Harriett together, and are now competing together. They wake up together, they work together they train together. And still go out to dinner together, go to many concerts together, travel together, and as you can see above, throw a great ugly sweater party together. If that's not inspirational I'm not quite sure what is.
And of course this training has come with its fair share of trials. Liz has found herself with knee issues that have persisted for many months now (and the word issues certainly doesn't do justice to the pain she has been put through). She has combed the city for every piece of advice/therapy/help that she can. She has proactively worked towards overcoming, she has simultaneously nurtured and fought her pain. Clearly this one is a fighter and a doer. Her mantra as crunch time has come has been "I think I can." I'm getting on a plane friday night. Camera, running sneakers, pom-poms in tow, and the mantra I'm tucking in my carry on is "I know they can." Because I've watched Liz come out on top of a lot of situations in life. She is a tough cookie, and she deserves this.
Last year as the marathon got closer I had to stop running because of foot problems. I'm embarrassed to be putting this out there, but I got so frustrated with limping around and being in pain I cried on the phone to my sister almost every day. And then suddenly Jen had to go into the field (NOLS speak for into the wild with students) and I couldn't cry to her every day. I mentioned this to Liz in passing and she read everything that was behind my attempt at a calm casual mention (okay so she could hear my voice crack as I tried not to cry telling her). She swooped in as my life coach and cheerleader till the end. And by that I mean the literal end. First notes, calls, gifts, and then she and my little sister jogged the last 6 miles with me. And as I pushed myself harder than I ever have for the last mile I had her voice in my ear -- steadfast, encouraging me to push past the others, to elbow through walkers if need be. Its rare to get that sort of support from outside your family. Unwavering and with no agenda. I'll never be able to fully thank her or explain what that meant to me, or what she always means to me. And to be honest she is family. And while this last bit has little to do with her Ironman, it explains to you a snippet of the kind of person she is and what she means to me. She deserves the finish line so very much. If something physical should hold her back, she really already deserves the medal for the last several months - as they say, the journey is the thing. Regardless of the outcome, our little cheering brigade will be the proudest group out there. I couldn't be more excited for Liz and John or happier that I'm able to be there. love you guys. Ready, Set................................