Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Heart Participation

YEY! 4 comments yesterday was the greatest way possible for our 2009 blog to get going. It is great to feel loved, especially when it was half-assed blog, a few days overdue. And when I said I needed to get my blogging boots on I didn't mean LITERALLY. But that is what mother nature demanded of me. It is rainy and yucky here and I have my wellies on in full effect - as usual I've been loving storming through the puddles - deeper the better. But in honor of the weather and of Jenny's comment yesterday, I posted this picture of my grandmother's porch. I agree. I want to be rolling out of one of the 13 beds in her yellow-trimmed, shingled house, scampering down into the kitchen in my PJs, helping myself to a big mug of coffee from the coffeemaker - cluttered between huge ceramic containers of every utensil under the sun, cutting boards galore, grandmom's mini coffee maker so she can have her half caf, not so strong coffee, a half eaten banana cause she always has half :), and crumbs over glass plates from where people have already helped themselves to coffee cake or bagels --and moving to this glorious sun filled porch. I can feel the breeze and the sun and smell the salt air. We all sit in a semi circle of white rocking chairs and wicker furniture, and "watch the boats" while we eat, read, chat. There is no place like Jamestown in the summer, and namely there is no place like Birdview. I can just feel the feeling of sitting there calmly and I want it now. Can't have it for a few more months but I'm so lucky to have had it there my whole life.
That is yet another silver lining I can add to my list. I rang in the new year with only one arm (no banging on pots and pans for me :)). I broke my elbow on Christmas, and new years eve I was bestowed with quite the fashion accessory -- a large white cast that goes from shoulder to wrist at approximately a 30 degree angle. Amazingly, I can do almost everything as easily as my better hinged friends. My two major downsides are no running and no ponytails. I have decided these are two inventions that need to happen - a vented cast so if you sweat in it it isn't tragic, and something (lord knows what) that allows you to put your hair in an elastic one handed. Among other silver linings there is the fact that this happened in the dead of winter. I'd like to be cross country skiing and running, but NY doesn't even have snow! Far better than in summer months when I could be jumping off a piling into the salty bay. Another silver lining? I already own a lot of tank tops. Far easier to get on. Another? Everyone is so sweet and helpful. Never hurts to remember there are people around to take care of you. Another? The did NOT put the cast over my hand -- so no one handed punching. I can type type type away ;).