Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sub-zero or Not.


I know this is an odd time of year for this post, especially since it is supposed to be the most bitter it has been all season this weekend in NYC, but perhaps that just shows our dedication... I hate jumping on bandwagons. I don't particularly like trends (of course I can't resist when they = great fashion). So I held out on trying Pinkberry for a long time. And then I denied liking it for longer. The fact that Paris and Lindsay are spotted by Page 6 (which I read religiously) there was reason enough to stick to Tasti-d-lite and TCBY. But a girl can only hold out so long. An array of cereals, fresh fruit and frozen yogurt? Literally three of my favorite things on earth. I've caved in recent months and have been a Pinkberry fan ever since - and they're popping up all over the city.

So the arrival two days ago of COFFEE to the limited flavor choices made my week. I already inject the stuff into my bloodstream every morning, and couldn't be happier to add it to my desserts. Its creamy texture and rich tangy flavor remind me of standing on my tippy-toes, pulling yellow and white Dannon cups out of my parent's fridge and peeling back the foil when I was young and thought it was the only good form of the beans (how little I knew).

I do have to add though, Red Mango - the lesser known predecessor of Pinkberry, just opened directly across the street from PB on Bleecker and is great as well. Same exact thing, but now it'll be a struggle to choose between the two - more cereals at Red Mango, Coffee at Pinkberry. So while others have tunnel vision for a piping earl grey or tomato soup in January, I throw on an extra fleece and head for my yogurt.