Thursday, March 20, 2008

I wish I was -

- out standing in a field. Happy spring! I read about this company probably a year ago, and ripped out a tiny blurb on them and their website and forgot about it. I found it recently in a pile of papers and checked out their website. I can't think of a greater concept than a traveling dinner party that uses locally farmed produce to eat, often local chefs to cook, with and local wine to drink, that sets up shop on farms, on beaches, in barns, or in any "field" really. It's a bit pricey for a struggling artist - though worth every penny if you as me. Their 2008 schedule will be posted today in honor of the first day of spring so I thought I would share it with those of you that aren't familiar, and perhaps their coming to your area. Before I had heard of them I gave my mother a fully serviced dinner party for her birthday last year in June. In the middle of cooking with my friend Jenny and sister Kathryn while staring at the dining room table, I announced I thought we should have it outside. Kathryn and Jenny both thought I was sort of crazy for insisting on picking up a long table from my father's house, collecting chairs from all over, and debating white sheets and pink tableclothes to cover the table with. We even had to improvise with "side boards" (my mother's antique tables and trays) because the table was so narrow. But to my mind, it couldn't get more romantic than a candlelit dinner at a table under a weeping willow by a creek at dusk - with the lightning bugs making the evening sparkle. Wine, murray's cheese and laughter. I'm doing everything I can to tell myself I can't afford this -- but if you can, please go to one and let me know how it is!
The photo is taken from their blog, and is a dinner they held in Vail at Pie Ranch. This is their barn before dinner, which was eaten after lessons on the local plants and a short hike to a spectacular view.