Monday, March 17, 2008

This outfit is Genius.

picture courtesy of thesartorialist.blogspot.com
sar·to·ri·al /sɑrˈtɔriəl, -ˈtoʊr-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahr-tawr-ee-uhl, -tohr-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1.
of or pertaining to tailors or their trade: sartorial workmanship.
2.
of or pertaining to clothing or style or manner of dress: sartorial splendor.
3.
Anatomy. pertaining to the sartorius.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with his site, or have read some piece of the extensive press he has gotten. I read about this site a while back and was always meaning to check it out and never really did. In fact, I've ruled out reading a lot of blogs (I have a short list I can't resist) in the interest of getting work done. But recently a friend sent me the blog again and suggested I take a look. This time I did, and now I'm hooked. This blog has rejuvenated a sense of purpose in my morning dressing routine that has sort of fallen by the wayside. For as long as I can remember I have been very specific in how I dress...to the extent of insisting we purchase fabric for my 5th grade graduation dress and make it, because I could find nothing I was satisfied with(Sorry mom). Some attempts are failed, but are attempts none-the-less. And while I don't ever like to dress too drastically, I usually tend towards a look that is different than my neighbor, whomever they may be. For instance, going to a preppy all girls school gave incentive to my hippie phase, going to a "crunchy" sporty college gave incentive to my dressed up/bordering on trendy phase, and coming to a city where there are edgy extremes and lots of trendy girls, Ive returned slightly to my preppy roots. It wasn't until very recently that it clicked as to what had spawned these changes in my style. This is embarrassing/probably not advisable to admit, but in the last year or two I have derailed a bit. Between working out of my apartment, often trudging through the cold, and being forced into sneaker wearing due to injury, I have become lax about my ensembles. I even often find myself in yoga pants and sneakers. The Sartorialist has reminded me of why it sometimes SHOULD take me a few extra minutes to get out of my apartment in the morning. It has reminded me of why I enjoy working in this artistic medium in the first place, and it reminds me of how the slightest line, print mix, pop of color, can make Jane or John Doe, in everything from Target to Prada, strutting down the catwalk that is every street in New York City, a temporary genius/artist in their own right.
The Sartorialist posted this picture from New Delhi. How great that this outfit could work on the streets here style wise and season wise, and what a fantastic mix of girly prints and menswear and the perfect - is it winter? is it spring? weight and palette