Thursday, October 18, 2007

Don't Worry Darlin'

I had the very great privledge of going to see the Boss at MSG last night. My friends over at Linda and Harriett invited me and I cant think of a better way to spend a wednesday (or any) night. The night reminded me of a crush I had all but forgotten about, it reminded me that there is in fact ONE man on this planet that can still look attractive with a soul patch, it brought me back to dancing with my mom in our kitchen in the 80s, and it made me smile that my grandmother just discovered him on TV and called to tell my mother about her latest heartthrob.

I think when ever we listen to Bruce Springsteen we are reminded of the love and pride someone can feel for their country, their state, and their job. And we are reminded that there are people in this world that do everything with fire and conviction no matter how many times they have done it before. As we watched him poor sweat and belt out Born to Run I couldnt help but be in awe of someone who is able to love what they do over and over and over again. As an audience member you can feel his joy and pride as he sings songs to you that he's be singing for 30 years, like its the first time the those lyrics have left his lips.

And in addition to this teaching by example, Bruce's lyrics often strike a chord with me. at 25 I feel like I've had countless conversations with friends who are beautiful, smart and motivated, and yet have reached a point out of College where they feel unsettled and scared at not knowing where they are in life, or where they are headed. Bruce reminded me of all those conversations and the worries Shannon and I have day in and day out when he sang the lyrics -

Don't worry, darlin'No baby, don't you fret - We're livin' in the future, And none of this has happened yet

So while today's posting isnt about Shannon's and my work directly, I was reminded last night that perhaps if I adopt a bit more of his conviction and vitality and worried a little bit less about what every second is adding up to I can relax into knowing Dakota Martin and my life, will head where they should, and there's nothing wrong with having a little fun along the way.