Friday, October 19, 2007

A forgotton Art.

So its a rainy Friday afternoon and instead of being productive I'm perusing my itunes. I'm composing a mix for the DM Hunt bus to help get people rowdy at 8am tomorrow. And as I drag the songs into The Hunt playlist I find myself asking what happened to the art of the mixtape (one word apparently - google politely corrected me)? Where did these finely crafted and choreographed gifts go that spelled out effort and hours of audible bliss? I'm pretty sure that up until 2000 every boyfriend, sister, cousin and best friend received and gave multiple mixes. They were a go-to for me for new friends, best friends or one in distress. Allison and I had one we loved listening to so much in HS it wore thin and died (but the magic of JT and "that pretty little pout" and our Diana Ross debate live on).

I would say that its age, but I don't think my younger sister and her friends regularly make mix CDs and have coveted black nylon zip boxes that house these jems.

I cant lie (even if I get major nerd points for it), my mixtape making has slowed, but never stopped. And probably only two years ago I made mix cds for a friend in a serious slump, and she told me it was one of the nicest things anyone had done for her. So if you sheepishly wish you still gave or received--Don't despair. I think they've been off the market long enough that its high time - like leggings from the 80s or rompers from the 40s - that they came back into fashion.