Friday, April 4, 2008

April Showers


I'm staring up at my lovely L&H calender with rain drops covering the April page and looking at the gray sky outside. I know the sun seems to be a bit of an obsessive topic for me - but I found this product in this months Domino Mag and think its awesome. I love this shape jar to start - the rubber buffer in the glass lid, and metal clasp remind me of my kitchen cupboard growing up. Add real sunlight? I'm sold. Sign me up for enough to cover a back patio (that I dont have), and outdoor table, or a pool deck. As the Charles and Marie website describes it - by Tobi Wong...this jar stores the sun light. Have it sit in the sun during the day and see it radiate at night. All made possible by modern technology – some LED's, a solar panel and some ingenious thinking. The kind of thinking Tobi is famous for. This is a wonderful effect and the sandblasted glass makes it seem as if it truly emits warm sun light. It is a great little idea for an outdoor summer dinner, where you have the jars scattered around the table, or an evening at the beach where they will provide just the right amount of light, or as garden illumination..."
And a completely unrelated tidbit: I was emailing with my friend Rosy today. I knew we would be best friends our freshman year of college for many reasons, but one big one was (get ready for some major nerd points) when she told me that her favorite book was William Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury. My absolute favorite, but no one had ever agreed with me till I met her. We were emailing about TC today and she reminded me of the best line of Their Eye's Were Watching God on Teacake and Janie: "She looked down at him and felt a self crushing love, and her soul crawled out from it's hiding place..." Its quotes like that that remind me of why I love literature -- when statements evoke feelings and explain things that you would never think could be put into words. I think I need to go back and reread it now. Thanks Rose.