Monday, April 21, 2008

Home again, home again.

A man on our plane from Tennessee who was in South Africa to go large game hunting with his son said to my mother and I, "they say there are three bad things about traveling to Africa. They are: the flight there, the flight home, and paying for them." And I think he is right. While it is always nice to return home to family and friends and routines, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip and would sign myself up to go back to South Africa in a heartbeat. So no more daily views like the one above from their wine country, or tasting the locally brewed corn beer like below,
it isn't so bad being home - I love hearing my favorite voices on the phone and picking up projects where I left off. So on a very American note, I came across Alabama Chanin in one of the many magazines I read on one of the many planes. I am loving their website. It has beautiful photography and great products. The company was founded when Natalie Chanin returned to the US after working abroad to create a "road movie through rural America where the old-fashioned quilting circle represents the road we travel." I can't lie I'm very tempted to buy it. Doesn't get much more apple pie than that.