Thursday, April 24, 2008

Nothin Like It.

I was raised on Quik. It was a staple of my diet during my formative years. I had it every day with my after-school snack in our big plastic cups. The economy size yellow cylinder sat tucked above the counter to the left of our fridge with back-ups in the pantry. It was the cure-all for headaches, the perfect any time pickup and, best bonding drink with my sister and friends. Most days I could find another girl already in our kitchen when I got home mixing herself a glass. There was an art to stirring enough to flavor the milk, and little enough to have a treat at the end. Syrup was unheard of. Powder or die. Maybe I'm wrong, but its not every day that Quik is advertised any more, and its no longer a staple of my diet. I love that the bunny, the font, and the 70s-ish yellow, blue and brown haven't changed an ounce. So this morning as we walked up 9th Ave to work I smiled when I saw this billboard, and curbed TC to take a picture. I could hear the spoon clanking against the cup, and see the powder abyss in the barrel. Wishing I had something to honk with.