Thursday, May 1, 2008

4 o'clock snack time.

As I planned my afternoon errands in my head this afternoon I mentally penciled in a peppermint patty run. About an hour later shannon said to no one in particular "I kind of want a York." When that afternoon wall hits there is no snack like it. Or at any time for that matter. I apologize if I seem to be addressing chocolate a lot these days, but these are hands down my favorite candy. I grew up eating them with Liz and Jen, in college we would freeze them, or get them after dinner with our dunks coffee, and even today I'm often running into little grocers to add that little pep in my step. I am happy to see that they originate in PA. According to the Hershey's website "Founded in the 1920s, the York Cone Company manufactured ice cream cones and waffles plus selected confectionery items in York, Pennsylvania. In 1940, YORK peppermint patties were introduced locally. Shortly thereafter, demand became so great that all other product lines were discontinued. YORK peppermint patties were distributed only in the Northeast, Ohio, Indiana and Florida, and no consumer advertising was used until Peter Paul acquired the York Cone Company in July 1972. Production was expanded, and in 1975, the brand was launched nationally. In 1988, Hershey Foods Corporation acquired YORK peppermint patties as part of its purchase of Cadbury Schweppes' United States confectionery operations. " Yey for PA - another top quality food from the Keystone state (in addition of course to the likes of Yuengling beer and Wawa sandwiches). Jenny can tell me all she wants that it's like squirting toothpaste into my chocolate, I'll never tire of them.