Thursday, May 22, 2008

What's in a White?

Color theory was hands-down my favorite class at Bates, and likewise picking out paint swatches is a favorite past time of mine. My mother and I sifted through hundreds of whites yesterday for my bedroom. It is sort of unreal when you realize that almost no two things you look at are the same color. And that when you break them down, it is rarely as simple as darkening with black and lightening with white... In fact in color theory you learn it rarely is -- call me a nerd, but exercises where we were not allowed to use white or black and had to plot out degrees of lightness and darkness in a color was fascinating to me. Right now I'm leaning towards Marble White. A celery tinted white, Benjamin Moore, that I found in Domino. I would never guess I would go with a greenish neutral, but it is very refreshing!!