Wednesday, May 28, 2008

ACK

Sorry for the lack of posts for the last few days. Shannon and I hopped on Jetblue for an overnight in Nantucket (to be honest I have no idea why the abbreviation is ACK, and always mean to wikipedia that). We were there checking out some business ventures, but what is there not to love about that island?? We landed in sideways pelting rain and I still loved everything about it. From a lunch of turkey sandwiches at a drugstore counter with swivel stools, to checking out the original Nantucket Red's at Murray's Toggery. I was super mad at myself for not bringing my camera as there were little aesthetic details to snap for the blog like beautiful golden flowers planted in window boxes against a slate blue house - what a great color combination I would have never dreamed up myself.I think what made our 24 hours there soothing and vacation-like was our Inn. Via internet we happened upon the Union Street Inn on Union Street in town. It was a beautifully weathered shingled house with clean, crisp, and homey interiors. Our room was fresh and white and the living space had checks and toiles everywhere. I loved the little touches like Fresh products in the rooms and bathrooms, restaurant suggestions mailed to us after our reservation, teas left out all day, amazing shower pressure, and all of my favorite most recent mags at our finger tips (I got to catch up on Gourmet!). And what was even better than classic four poster beds, laying in cool open-window New England air this morning while the wind rustled in the sun filled trees? Or smelling the bacon and coming down to stacks of yummy blueberry pancakes? The Inn owners themselves. Shannon and I managed to chat up Ken and Deb for a while and they were sweet as can be and a wealth of information. I was already looking up room availability for later in the summer before we had left.. We're looking into a trunk show labor day weekend at Eye of the Needle, and I have my fingers crossed we can stay there when we come back. Thanks for the hospitality Ken and Deb! It was great meeting you and can't wait to come back.