Tuesday, September 9, 2008

MJ

Notice how seamlessly this layered skirt works even with mixed plaids and stripes, and how the metallic waist wrap cinches her right in, and the clean top makes it look effortless.
love this Grecian draping with the 80's peachy pink. And how sexy does she look completely covered up with nothing tight?
This one should be pushing a stroller--make that a bugaboo - on the UES drawing looks from everyone she passes. Such brilliant colors and loud stripes, and yet not obnoxious at all!

I hate to post anything negative about someone elses work here, but its all for a positive end... The last few seasons of Marc Jacobs have really disappointed me. Everything looks SO outlandish and crazy that none of it is wearable. I'm largely okay with unwearable clothes on the runway. I don't think there is anything wrong with using the art form of fashion to promote your brand and your message. And in some ways I think he does this. But often that meant pushing the limits on awkwardness/nerdiness etc, to an undesirable point in my mind. It didn't even LOOK attractive. Critics always felt the opposite. His shows always receive lavish praise, and sometimes I wondered if this was the "one grade" effect I was talking about with some friends recently -- where those certain high school teachers gave you one grade in September, and no matter how hard you worked or slacked off through fall, winter, spring, into June, you got that grade. It seemed to me the critics could sit blindfolded and he was get the same write-up. SO. I was SO pleasantly surprised to just open an absolutely beautiful, real, wearable collection for Spring. The brocades are glamorous, the waists and necks are feminine with the patterns/coloring/layering are the Marc Jacobs touch that makes this his. Not to mention the quirky hats and shoes of course! The sheer layered with the silk is great. And l like that its a LBD, without being little, and with a lot of detail up close.
Just such a successful ensemble, I'm not sure I would do it justice if I picked it apart, so I wont. But notice that sweeping ruffle at the bottom of the skirt. He used this many times this show, as did Lela. I love it. Feels like an 80s prom dress element, drawn upward to soften it, and NOT sea foam taffeta, making it hardly recognizable as from that era.
Again, such simple draping in such a soft color. So elegant, and so sexy without very much skin.