Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Because I havent said it in a while..

I love New York. I had a rough go at it last night for a bit... I left my apartment at 20 of 6 with the goal of reaching 86th and CPW (that's Central Park West) by 6:22 for an evening run with a friend. That's a whole 42 minutes to get a little over 3 miles, but I'm always early - its a curse sometimes. So minding my own business I jump on an uptown train at 23rd street I thought a C, but hit 7th ave and realized it was an E. No big, quick turnaround and back on the C track waiting. And waiting.... And waiting.... 25 minutes later, already late, I start up the steps for a cab. And of course, in swoops a C train. Frustrated but calming down I reverse and jump on. We go one stop and at 59th street the conductor announces "due to the delay our next stop will be 125th street". I mean, can they really do that?! This is a local train! And what about all those people waiting for the C at 72nd and 81st etc etc?? Now isn't their train going to be REALLY late since they have to wait for a SECOND?! So mad, I disembark and look down the A track. Doesn't look promising so this time I do run up the stairs to a cab and take it up to 86th. Unreal. Miraculously my running date is waiting, but we're totally cut short because he has a dinner reservation. Major bummer and absurd that it should ever take over an hour to make it 3 miles. Annoyed at the MTA and myself I begin jogging downtown. Its the perfect night and there are people everywhere in the park. Couples running up and embracing, families picnicking, lots of runners and bikers. My mood calms and I get the pup out of my apartment for a little dog park time before we turn in for the night. And as we sat on a bench in Madison Square Park we were approached by two of the most beautiful boys I have ever seen. I hear them call the man they are with Spiderman and he says "ssshhhhh! She'll hear my identity!!" Ages 3 and 9, they wanted to know if Teacake bites, and quickly came up to play with him. I sat with the boys and who I learned was their uncle for probably 20 minutes. They clearly did not have much, and their uncle often dresses as spiderman and performs in Union Square. These two boys though were amazingly well behaved and sweet as can be. They were curious and polite, and the love their uncle has for them (he said his sister had passed away) was clear in every word he spoke to them. He had disfigured his face in a construction accident, but was as content and proud as anyone I've ever met. Before we parted Spiderman, with the help of 3 year old Mikey, gave Teacake and I this Mickey balloon and made the dog balloon to hold it. As usual, the only place in the world this would happen to me on a Tuesday night at 9:45 pm. I was honored to be given the gift, and so happy to have met them. I hope we cross paths again - thanks New York ; ).