Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My my my my...

So music doesn't seem like something that would play a big part here are Dakota Martin, except that as I'm sure many of you would agree, music plays a big part in a long office day. Especially in a creative's office day. Music helps me concentrate and transports me to my own little world. I grew up going to Phish shows and wishing I could see Jerry live, so my music taste is eclectic and extensive. I also always love being turned on to new artists because it gives me a chance to mix up the old dusty playlists on my Itunes. A friend recently ordered me to listen to Bon Iver (recorded the whole album alone in a cabin in Wisconsin!), and then we went to see him at the Bowery Ballroom last week with The Bowerbirds (great couple on stage - she played an awesome drum and the accordian) as his opening act. Both blew me away. You definitely need to be in the mood for something very mellow, but both have unique sounds and were fantastic live (I'd venture to say better live than recorded). One song I cannot stop playing is a cover that both bands did together as an encore. It is called Lovin's For Fools by Sarah Siskind. Listen to it on Youtube (I tried to post the video but am not that tech-savvy). Oh, and my title - My my my - is from his song Skinny Love. Also amazing.