Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nah...


I'm pretty sure it's illegal to be of our generation or a generation above and not know every Seinfeld episode by heart. I still can watch any rerun (which I do on a borderline daily basis) and laugh out loud with my roommates or by myself. And Jerry has a stand up CD that I have more-or-less memorized that still brings tears to my eyes. Every dance floor I am on with my father we still break out the Elaine and think its as hysterical as the first time. Imagine what Elaine, Kramer, Jerry and George could do with today's social norms. Text messaging, facebook, match.com, would be endless episodes of "nothing" topic discussion. Every now and again I have a conversation with a friend or witness a scene where I think to myself what a perfect Seinfeld episode it would be. If only they would come back to us.


Saturday night I had just such a discussion. In preparation for a birthday party downtown I met Shannon and Jen for a drink at Agave (YUM) on Seventh Ave. I pulled up a chair to their table, grabbed a glass of Sangria, and Jen, in her very animated story-telling fashion, began telling me how they had invited a friend of hers from college to join her and Shannon for dinner. His responding text simply said..... "Nah." "Nah?!" She said. "We extend a friendly invitation, and its not no thanks, or stuck uptown, or already have dinner plans, just NAH. WHO SAYS nah?!" Nah, carried us through the rest of the night. Every question got a shrug and a "Nah." I'm pretty sure we would have been appalled (/ really very amused) by this response from a best friend, much less a social acquaintance. Lucky for us the "nah" perpetrator joined us at the birthday party... And he got to hear about it all night.


So this morning when Shannon asked me if I needed anything from the corner store and I unconsciously said "Nah," and she unconsciously responded "Nah?" We both paused and died laughing. Who says nah?? I'm pretty sure we'll never say it the same again. And we certainly won't text it. And maybe we're giving ourselves too much credit in the witty department, but we're pretty sure George, Jerry, and Elaine could have an extended lunch scene at the diner discussing the audacity of a mutual friend who responded to a friendly offer with the written word "Nah."