Thursday, November 8, 2007

Tradition.


Its almost the holidays and therefore its almost time for every tradition aunt sally, uncle jim, grandma smith and cousin suzy ever started. Whether it is where you trim your tree, who cuts the turkey, the order you give gifts in (birth? alphabetical?), or the trip your family takes to escape all of these things, the time has come. Some you look forward to, some you dread, and some you don't even recognize as traditions. I know I have so many, new and old, I look forward to each year. I love making desserts for thanksgiving at my aunts and christmas at my house, listening to the nut cracker, going to the Christmas eve service with the Combs, and running to my mother's house christmas morning from my dad's.


In light of the onslaught that is about occur Shannon and I wanted to share a non-holiday tradition that we have held close to our hearts for 11 years now, that will be continued this evening. Since the beginning of high school our group of friends has been very close knit. We are as vicious as we are thoughtful, and we make fun of one-an-other as quickly as we wipe away eachother's tears. Somewhere along fall of our freshman year of high school (1996) we began purchasing and wearing candy necklaces to every event we attended. Semi formal, casual, in a basement, or at a venue the 9,10,11 of us has our necks wrapped in sugar. Im not sure that any of us know exactly why or how it started but we love it just the same. And so 11 years later and older we're not tired of it or too mature. We may be lawyers, in PR, attending dental school, or working in finance, but nothing says a good night to us like a rainbow chocker (and trust me, Shannon and I do not take the repercussions of being seen in anything chocker related lightly). Tonight as some of us decend on a Manhattan Thursday night in celebration of Jodi's birthday, youll know us by the loud laughter and our matching necklaces, one sweet tradition.